SURFVIVOR CHALLENGE IV (Competition Rules)
October 30, 2011
A. Who can join?
1) Contestants should be an official participant of the Aloha Boardsports & Travel Factor Surf & Music Festival 2011. Pre-registration will be done and will begin on September 15, 2011 and will end when slots are fully booked. On-site registration is discouraged.
2) Contestants must be aged 18 years old and above.
3) The competition is open to all beginners who have not won or placed (up to 3rd place) any surfing competition.
You are considered a beginner surfer if you mainly catch whitewash waves. Surfers are judged on long rides standing up. Extra points are given for going left or right, catching green waves and bigger waves.
1) Contestants may only use long boards on this competition.
2) Boards must be at least 8ft long.
A. Mixed Tandem
* Any male or female beginner can join and will be randomly assigned among the official instructors as their partner when they surf. Their instructor is to be considered their guide who will choose the waves for them. Participants just need to listen and trust their instructor when to stand up. Basically, it’s like a normal surf lesson but with a challenge!
* Maximum of 25 contestants
B. Mixed Solo
* Maximum of 15 contestants
III. JUDGING AND SCORING GUIDELINES
1) Surfers will be judged on every ride to a maximum of 10 waves per heat. Judges give 0-10 on each ride. There will be 4 judges for each heat plus a fifth person as a “spotter”, who will help with identifying the surfers paddling for the wave.
2) Experienced judges and team riders will judge the SURFVIVOR Challenge IV heats and finals.
3) The surfer must be clearly in possession of the wave on the wave face, making a movement to stand, his/her hands having left the rails for the wave to be scored.
4) Interference rules apply.
IV. HEAT PREPARATION AND STRUCTURE
1) All contestants must report to the Travel Factor booth 30 minutes prior to the start of the first heat to receive their instructions and run through the rules. If, in the event a competitor does not check-in by the 5-minute warning prior to their heat, they will be replaced by the next surfer on the list. The “late” surfer goes to the bottom of the list.
2) Heats are 15 minutes long unless otherwise specified.
3) Heats start from the water. Surfers will get a 5-minute paddle out time on the yellow flag.
4) A green flag means a heat is on. A yellow flag means 5 minutes to the end of the heat. A red flag signals the end of the heat.
* Please do not catch a wave before you see the green flag. When the red flag goes up come in lying down. The hooter sounds the beginning and the end of each heat.
5) Your best 2 waves are counted for your total score.
6) Don’t drop in on a surfer already standing up. The surfer who takes off closest to the breaking part of the wave has claimed that wave. Two surfers may ride the same wave if one rides left and the other right as long as they don’t cross paths.
Trophies and prizes from sponsors will be awarded to first through third places in all categories on Oct 30, 2011 at the awarding ceremony at night.
VI. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
1) Complaints and protests by contestants shall be addressed to the official panel of judges. All decisions made by the official panel of judges shall considered final.
2) Prizes will be announced on or before Sep 30, 2011.
3) Full Time Employees of TRAVEL FACTOR, ALOHA BOARDSPORTS and CREATIVE JUICE are not eligible to join.
NON-REFUNDABLE REGISTRATION FEE: PHP 500 per competitor
HOW TO REGISTER
1) Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org (Email subject: Surfvivor Challenge IV Registration - Oct 30, 2011)
2) Indicate your full name and category type you’re joining [ mixed tandem / mixed solo ]
3) You will receive thru email account details where to deposit payment (BPI). Full payment must be settled on or before due date.
4) The registration fee of P 500 is non-refundable.